The Bedford County Sheriff’s Office has again, received reports from citizens in Bedford County that the “IRS phone scam” has raised its ugly head once more. Sheriff Mike Brown wishes to remind everyone that the IRS will NEVER call you and will never leave a message concerning you owing taxes or threatening your arrest.
“These scammers have gotten very good at what they do”, says Sheriff Brown. “Sometimes they may already have some of your personal information which leads many people to believe the call is legit. Believe me, it is not.”
Tips from Sheriff Brown – Screen calls land don’t answer unknown numbers;
- Do NOT return the phone call if they left a message;
- NEVER give out your credit or debit card number;
- NEVER give out PIN, bank, or social security numbers or any other personally identifying information;
- Never send any money or gift cards to a caller;
- If you suffered a loss due to a scammer or feel threatened, report the situation to the Sheriff’s Office or your local police.