These are instructions for residents of Bedford County. If you live outside of Bedford County please see your local county/city website for information on how to apply for a Virginia conceal handgun permit. The general state of Virginia conceal carry handgun permit information can be found at the Virginia State Police website.
If you are renewing, you must fill out the PDF application and check Renewal on the application.
- Download (Fillable PDF) the application for Concealed Handgun Carry for the state of Virginia. A copy of this form can also be picked up at the Bedford Circuit Court Clerk’s Office at the courthouse on Main street or at the Sheriff’s Office.
- Complete the application but do not sign the application until you are in the presence of a notary. The application must be notarized.
- Take the application to the Circuit Court Clerks Office at 123 East Main Street, Suite 201, Bedford, VA 24523.
- The Circuit Court Clerks Office will require a form of photo identification to verify identity of applicant.
- Applicant must bring the required proof of handgun competency to the Circuit Court Clerks Office.
- The applicant may demonstrate handgun competency by presenting evidence of one of the following:
- Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
- Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
- Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
- Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
- Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
- Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
- Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
- Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
- Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
- There is a processing fee of $40.46 (cash or check) for a new application and $30.46 for a non-expired renewal. This fee is paid to the Circuit Court Clerk. The Circuit Court will accept credit card payment but there is a $2.00 credit card fee. Please call the Circuit Court Clerks Office to find out what cards are accepted.
- Once the application is submitted, the judge has the final decision for approval. Once approved, the permit will be mailed to you at the address you supplied.