As of July 1, 2013

§ 59.1-117. Permit required for trading in secondhand building fixtures. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, no person shall offer for sale or acquire any secondhand heating or plumbing fixtures or supplies, electric fixtures or any wiring, gas fixtures or appliances, water faucets, pipes, locks, bathtubs, gutters, downspouts, or other secondhand fixtures of whatever kind or description pertaining to a building or structure, without first obtaining a permit for the sale or acquisition of the same from the chief of police of the city or town or the sheriff of the county in which such property is offered for sale or acquisition.

The following are exempted from this Code Section: 1. The sale of secondhand material mentioned in § 59.1-117 taken from premises occupied by the owner, when sold by such owner on the premises, or the sale of such articles when purchased from a public utility corporation at its place of business or a governmental agency (however the individual acquiring secondhand building materials is required to obtain a permit unless otherwise exempt); 2. Scrap metal purchaser as provided in Article 4 (§ 59.1-136.1 et seq.); 3. Authorized scrap sellers; 4. Public utilities; 5. Public transportation companies; 6. Peddlers permitted under § 59.1-118; 7. Industrial and manufacturing companies; 8. Marine, automobile, and aircraft salvage and wrecking companies; or 9. Governmental entities.

These are the instructions to obtain a Secondhand Scrap Metal/Fixtures Permit in Bedford County. If you need a permit in another county, please consult with that county regarding obtaining a permit.

  • Download the fillable PDF application, fill out and print it,  or go to the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office and obtain an application in person.
  • Complete the application and bring it to the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office along with documentation of your business EIN (if filing as a business). This includes a letter from the IRS or State Corporation Commission that has your business EIN on it.
  • You will be required to have fingerprints done. Fingerprints are done between the hours of 8 am and 10 am on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. If you are a non-resident of Bedford County you will be required to pay 10.00 per fingerprint card.
  • The form will be processed by the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office and then you will be issued your permit.

If your fingerprints come back from the background check with a problem not mentioned on your application then your permit will be revoked. You will be notified by mail and be required to surrender your permit immediately to the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office.

Fingerprints will be kept on file at the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office for a period of 1 (one) year.

The Secondhand Scrap Metal/Fixtures permit is valid until 12/31/2013.