These are instructions for residents of Bedford County. If you live outside of Bedford County please see your local county/city website for information on how to apply for a Virginia conceal handgun permit. The general state of Virginia conceal carry handgun permit information can be found at the Virginia State Police website.
If you are renewing, you must fill out the PDF application and check Renewal on the application.
Bedford County Circuit Court Concealed Handgun Permit Application Procedure
- Obtain Application & Instruction Sheet from Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, Bedford County Sheriff’s Office or Download it here.
- Submit completed application, fee and required proof of handgun competency documentation as described below to the Bedford County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office.
- The Clerk’s Office will require some form of photo identification for verification of applicant’s identity.
- Fee is $40.00 (plus return postage) for a new application and $30.00 (plus return postage) for a renewal and is non-refundable. Checks are to be made payable to Clerk, Bedford County Circuit Court*.
- No fee shall be charged for the issuance of such permit to a person who has retired from service (i) as a magistrate in the Commonwealth; (ii) as a law-enforcement officer with the Department of the State Police or with a sheriff or police department, bureau or force of any political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia, or any such agency as listed in Virginia Code Section 18.2-308(k) after completing fifteen years’ service or after reaching age fifty-five.
- The applicant may demonstrate handgun competency by presenting evidence of one of the following:
- Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
- Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
- Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
- Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
- Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
- Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
- Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
- Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
- Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
- The Clerk’s Office will submit the completed application to the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office for completion of a criminal history record check.
- Allow THREE WEEKS for completion of processing unless you are required to attend a firearms clinic.
- The Clerk’s Office will send the permit by U.S. Mail to the applicant.
- Clerk’s Office hours are: Monday through Friday – 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Please arrive by 4:15 to submit application in person.
- The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property.
- Concealed weapon permits expire at the end of five years from the issue date.
- When permit holder renews a permit within 180 days prior to expiration of existing permit, the application procedure is the same as above described except the existing permit can be used as evidence of firearm competence. The renewal fee of $30 also applies provided the application is submitted before the expiration date of the prior permit.
*Applications for persons who have previously held a concealed handgun permit can be submitted to the Clerk’s Office via U.S. Mail.