GANG SPECIALIST OPENING
Type: Full Time, VA Certified Law Enforcement Officer
Description: This position acts as a representative of the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office by performing law enforcement services in Bedford County and responsible protective service work with a major focus on gang or gang-like activities. The Gang Specialist is responsible for the identification and documentation of gang members; suspected or confirmed. Work is performed under the supervision of a Field Corporal.
Minimum Requirements Include:
- Must hold current and valid Virginia DCJS Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer
- In addition to English, this position requires the candidate to read, write, and speak fluent Spanish, which is the native language of the community gang population, in order to translate and interpret law enforcement protocols and procedures to the
- Knowledge of the practices and methods of police operations and administration
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear comprehensive reports
- Ability to analyze situations and adapt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances
- Ability to deal courteously but firmly with the public
- Ability to maintain possession of valid appropriate driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of
- Ability to maintain compliance with minimum standards for police officers issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia
Preferred Experience Includes:
- A minimum of 3 years experience as a Law Enforcement Officer
- Previous experience as a Gang Officer/Specialist
Position Close Date: 11/15/17
Visit Bedford County Sheriff’s Office website to apply.
For more information, please contact Sgt. Brian Neal, Professional Standards Unit, at (540) 586-4800, ext. 3252.