On October 9, 2015, at 11:30 AM, EOC Room, Bedford County Sheriff’s Office, Mr. Fred Wilson, Director of Training, National Sheriff’s Association, Alexandria, VA, will be at the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office to present this prestigious award to Sheriff Brown for his Rural Bike Patrol Program (RBP).
The Innovation Award is an award for Sheriff’s Offices, nationwide, whose achievements promote institutional excellence. The award signifies a significant advancement in the implementation and effective delivery of a highly innovative idea for the institution of The American Sheriff.
The award highlights some of the following items:
- Improve the Sheriffs Office’s community policing efforts.
- Crime Prevention.
- Advanced extra duty patrol at large events.
- Easily deployable for focused patrol in apartment complexes, subdivisions, state parks, business districts, and strip malls.
- Eight deputies, all volunteers, are the core of the unit.
- All expenses for the formation of the unit, to include all of the equipment…special bikes, and uniforms, was donated by the following businesses and individuals. No county funds were used to put this special crime fighting unit in the field!
The RBP Unit will be present to preview their unit and their equipment, answer questions and demonstrate their riding skills.
Attending ceremonies for special recognition:
- Acute Designs ,
- Bedford Ready Mix,
- Black Water Bike Shop
- CEO, Centra Health
- Clyde A Smith Plumbing & Heating
- Cooke’s Glass Service
- Elena Black, DDS
- Emerson Creek Pottery
- Garland G. Gentry DDS
- Joe H. Coleman Construction
- President, Lynchburg Mazda/Mabry Automotive Group
- President, Maddox & Son Construction/Grace Properties
- New London House
- Summit Mortgage Corporation
- Regional Manager, Wal-Mart